Daily Current Affairs 10 October 2017 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Gujarat, Maharashtra, Himachal Pradesh cut VAT of petrol and diesel,
Gujarat, Maharashtra and Himachal Pradesh have cut value added tax (VAT) on petrol and diesel in tandem with the central government’s decision last week to reduce excise duty, stoking expectations that the inclusion of petroleum products in the goods and service tax (GST) may happen sooner.
- Gujarat on October 10 reduced VAT on petrol and diesel by 4%, becoming the first state to give relief to consumers from a recent surge in oil prices.
- Maharashtra reduced VAT (became second state after Gujarat), resulting in a price reduction on petrol by Rs.2 and diesel by Rs.1.
- And then later in the evening Himachal Pradesh also announced a 1% reduction in VAT.
Rajasthan becomes 1st state to incorporate skill development programme in higher education
Rajasthan has become the first state to incorporate skill development programme in the higher education.
- In collaboration with IGNOU, the College Education department has prepared 16 courses for entrepreneurship and skill development for colleges in the state.
Vice President Inaugurated 3rd International Conference on Yoga
Vice President M Venkaiah Naidu inaugurated the third International Conference on Yoga in New Delhi. The theme of this year’s conference will be ‘Yoga for Wellness.’
- The two-day conference has six technical sessions and experts will deliberate on the scope of yoga in integrated medicine, and control of cancer, depression and gynaecological disorders and pain management.
India is second largest market for pharma, biotech workforce: Report
With 13.7 per cent contribution to the global pharmaceuticals and biotechnology workforce, India has emerged as the 2nd largest market for the industry, a report by professional networking giant LinkedIn has revealed.
SBI to set up country’s largest innovation centre at Mumbai
The nation’s largest lender State Bank of India is creating a 15,000-sqft innovation centre in Navi Mumbai investing around Rs 100 crore. The centre, to be built at its Global IT Centre in Belapur in Navi Mumbai, will be the largest innovation centre by any financial services company in the country.
IMF raises global growth forecast over broad-based recovery
The International Monetary Fund (IMF) raised its global growth forecast for 2017 and 2018 due to a broad-based recovery in Europe, China, Japan and the US.
- In its latest World Economic Outlook, the IMF forecast that the global economy will grow by 3.6 per cent in 2017 and 3.7 per cent in 2018
IMF lowers India’s growth forecast to 6.7% in 2017
India has lost its rank as the world’s fastest growing major economy in the International Monetary Fund’s (IMF) tally after it slashed India’s growth projection for 2017 by 0.5 percent to 6.7 percent on October 10.
- The report projected India to regain the top spot next year with a 7.4 percent gross domestic product (GDP) growth rate.
World Bank reduces India GDP growth forecast to 7% for 2017-18
In its South Asia Economic Focus (Fall 2017), the World Bank reduced India’s GDP growth forecast to 7% for 2017-18 from 7.2% estimated earlier, blaming disruptions caused by demonetisation and the implementation of the goods and services tax (GST), while maintaining at the same time that the economy would claw back to grow at 7.4% by 2019-20.
- Both the Asian Development Bank as well as the Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) have also cut their growth projections for India to 7% and 6.7%, respectively, for fiscal 2017-18.
Dehradun to host Ranji Trophy for the season 2017-18
Dehradun, Uttarakhand will host its first ever Ranji Trophy cricket match. The Ranji Trophy match will be played between October 24-27.
Jeakson Singh creates history by scoring India’s first ever goal in FIFA World Cup
Jeakson Singh Thounaojam created history at Delhi’s Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium by scoring India’s first goal in a World Cup during India’s match against Colombia. The moment for which the entire country was waiting with baited breath, came in the 82nd minute of the match when Jeakson headed home from a corner and the 48000 odd-crowd erupted in sheer joy.
APPOINTMENTS & RESIGNS
Facebook India MD Umang Bedi quits, Bhushan interim MD
Umang Bedi, who joined Facebook India as Managing Director in June 2016 and spearheaded the company’s drive to new milestones in the country, has stepped down from his position. After he quit, the social media platform named Sandeep Bhushan as interim managing director.
World Post Day: 9 October
World Post Day is celebrated every year on 9th October to highlight the importance of the postal services and to commemorate the establishment of the Universal Postal Union in 1874 in the Swiss capital, Berne.
- World Post Day 2017 Theme: ‘Innovation, Integration and Inclusion’
World Mental Health Day: 10 October
World Mental Health Day is observed on 10 October every year, with the overall objective of raising awareness of mental health issues around the world and mobilizing efforts in support of mental health.
- World Mental Health Day 2017 Theme: ‘Mental health in the workplace’.
President of India inaugurates India water Week-2017
The President of India, Shri Ram Nath Kovind, inaugurated India Water Week-2017 on October 10, 2017 in New Delhi. The India Water Week 2017 is going to be held between October 10 – 14, 2017 at Vigyan Bhavan, New Delhi.
- Speaking on the occasion, the President said that water is essential to life. The issue of water is becoming still more critical in view of climate change and related environmental concerns. Better and more efficient use of water is a challenge for Indian agriculture and industry alike.
- The theme of India Water Week – 2017 is “Water and Energy for Inclusive Growth”.
Ministry of Women and Child Development is celebrating the BBBP Week from 09th to 14th October
The Ministry of Women and Child Development will be celebrating the Beti Bachao Beti Padhao Week from 09th to 14th October, 2017. The week is being celebrated in view of the International Girl Child Day on 11th October, 2017. The theme of the program will be “Beti Bachao Beti Padhao Week- The Daughters of New India”.
- The BBBP districts have been requested to organize activities in a campaign mode to observe the Week starting from 9th October – 14th October 2017 to create awareness and sensitize community in their respective districts.