Daily Current Affairs 11 July 2017 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
India to become largest milk producer in 2026: Report
According to OECD-FAO Agricultural Outlook 2017-2026 report by the UN and OECD, India, projected to be the most populous country over the next decade, will be the world’s largest milk producer by 2026 and will account for the biggest increase in wheat production globally.
- Also, India’s population will grow from 1.3 billion to 1.5 billion, an increase of almost 150 million. India will overtake China and is projected to be the most populous country in the world by 2026.
NGT bans use of nylon and synthetic manja
The National Green Tribunal has imposed a complete ban on ‘manja’, the string used to fly kites, made of nylon or any synthetic material which is non-biodegradable, saying it posed a threat to the lives of birds, animals and humans.
- A bench headed by NGT Chairperson Justice Swatanter Kumar directed all state governments to prohibit the “manufacture, sale, storage, purchase and use” of synthetic manja or nylon threads and all other synthetic threads used for flying kites.
CM Arvind Kejriwal launches e-RTI, Delhi becomes 2nd state to accept online applications
Delhi has became the second state to launch e-RTI portal that will enable citizens to file online Right to Information (RTI). Maharashtra is the first state to launch the online RTI platform.
- The portal launched will enable citizens to file RTI and seek information related to 172 departments of the Delhi government including the office of the chief minister and his ministers.
Maharashtra launches free injectable contraceptive for women
Maharashtra has become the first state in the country to provide women an injectable contraceptive for free.
- The state’s public health department launched a programme called Antara to offer women an injection of Medroxyprogesterone acetate (MPA), a birth-control hormone. According to state health officials, the injection, a safe means of birth control, is effective for three months.
Committee formed to study legalities for separate State flag in Karnataka
The State has constituted a nine-member committee to study and submit a report to the government on the possibility of “designing a separate flag for Karnataka and providing it a statutory standing.”
- The committee was constituted following representation from journalist-writer and president of Karnataka Vidyavardhaka Sangha, Dharward, Patil Puttappa, and social worker Bheemappa Gundappa Gadada to the government. They urged the government to design a separate flag for Kannada ‘naadu’ and accord statutory standing for that.
Smartron, Chhattisgarh Govt. sign MoU to incorporate smart technologies in state
Smartron, a global technology OEM and IoT brand has signed a comprehensive Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the state government of Chhattisgarh to invest in opening up multiple areas of opportunities in the space of smart health, infrastructure, education, and home amongst others in the state.
World’s 1st Saola breeding centre in Vietnam
The world’s first centre for breeding Saola, a critically endangered hoofed mammal, is being constructed in Vietnam’s central region.
- The centre in Bach Ma National Park in Thua Thien Hue province will open in 2018 as a joint effort by the Saola World Working Group and the International Union for the Conservation of Nature, which will help tackle the ungulate endemic
For the first time, vaccine shows protection against gonorrhea
A vaccine which was originally developed to protect against a strain of meningitis, has been shown to ward off gonorrhea – a sexually transmitted infection, according to researchers.
- The findings mark the first time a vaccine has shown any protection against gonorrhea and point to new avenues in the search for a specific vaccine to stop the global spread of ‘super-gonorrhea’.
ISIS ‘confirms leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi is dead’
Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi had led the terrorist group and declared himself the ruler of the ‘Islamic caliphate’.
- The terrorist has been missing for weeks and rumours of his death was circulated. He has now been confirmed as dead by the the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights as well as a source from within the terror group.
FINANCE & ECONOMY
Axis Bank, IIC pact to boost trade with Latin America
Axis Bank has announced that it will help traders boost relations between India and Latin America and the Caribbean in a collaboration with Inter- American Investment Corporation.
- It will facilitate trade with Latin America and the Caribbean in which Axis Bank will participate in the Trade Finance Facilitation Programme (TFFP) as a confirming bank.
- Axis Bank said it is the first Indian Bank to be a part of such a facility.
- The Inter-American Investment Corporation (IIC) will be acting on behalf of the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB).
Over Rs 57,000 crore saved through DBT: Government
The Union Government has saved around Rs 57,000 crore in 2016-17 through Direct Benefit Transfer (DBT) scheme under which subsidies are given directly to beneficiaries. In 2017-18, the beneficiary base rose from 10.71 crore in 2013-14 to 35.62 crore. A total of 485 schemes have been identified from 60 ministries for the DBT.
SIDBI’s MSME counsellor programme
Small Industries Development Bank of India (SIDBI) has launched a programme for Certified Credit Counsellors (CCC) for micro, small and medium entreprises (MSMEs).
- The CCCs are expected to advise the entrepreneurs by offering help in preparing business proposals, financial documents and financial statements; and sharing information on suitable credit instruments available in the market.
Shastri appointed India head coach till 2019 ICC World Cup
Former India all-rounder Ravi Shastri has been named as the Indian cricket team’s new head coach till the 2019 ICC World Cup.
Renowned cartoonist Mangesh Tendulkar passes away
Renowned cartoonist Mangesh Tendulkar has been passed away after illness.
‘The Indian Fighter’ Actress Elsa Martinelli passes away
Elsa Martinelli, the veteran Italian actress, best known for her work in the 1955 film “The Indian Fighter” has passed away.
World Population Day: 11 July
World Population day is observed annually on 11th July to raise awareness of global population issues.
World Population Day 2017 Theme: ‘Family Planning: Empowering People, Developing Nations‘