Daily Current Affairs 12 January 2018 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
In a first, four judges appeal to nation to save Supreme Court
In a first in independent India’s history and a first for the Supreme Court of India, four judges addressing the media, appealed to the nation to save their institution if they wanted democracy in the country to survive.
- Justices Madan B. Lokur, Kurien Joseph, Ranjan Gogoi and Jasti Chelameswar addressed the press conference.
India, Bhutan jointly unveil ‘Special logo’
External Affairs Minister (EAM) Sushma Swaraj and Bhutan’s Minister of Foreign Affairs Lyonpo Damcho Dorji on Friday jointly unveiled the ‘Special logo’ for the Golden Jubilee celebrations in New Delhi and Thimphu through video-conference.
- The move was made to mark the launch of the Golden jubilee celebrations.
- The Golden Jubilee of the establishment of formal diplomatic relations between India and Bhutan is being celebrated in the year 2018.
Mumbai to host first summit on Createch in India
The United Kingdom’s Department for International Trade (DIT) will hold the India-UK Createch Summit in Mumbai on February 6.
- This first-of-its-kind conference will celebrate and explore the convergence of creativity and technology – Createch – and the innovations produced by its application across a range of sectors.
INS Nirbhik, Nirghat decommissioned
The Indian Naval Ships Nirbhik and Nirghat have been decommissioned at Naval Dockyard, Mumbai, after a glorious 30 and 28 years respectively in the service of the nation.
- Nirbhik and Nirghat in their new avatars were commissioned at Poti, erstwhile USSR on 21 Dec 1987 and 15 Dec 1989 respectively.
BANKING & FINANCE
India a top borrower from China-sponsored AIIB in 2017
India has emerged as a top borrower from the China-sponsored Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) with USD 1.5 billion worth of loans last year and USD three billion more in the pipeline.
- India is the second largest shared holder in the bank which has an authorised capital of USD 100 billion.
- China is the largest shareholder with 26.06 per cent voting shares in the bank. India is the second largest shareholder with 7.5 per cent followed by Russia 5.93 per cent and Germany with 4.5 per cent.
ISRO successfully launches its 100th satellite
India successfully launched its 100th satellite ‘Cartosat-2 Series’ from Satish Dhawan Space Centre in Andhra Pradesh’s Sriharikota Island.
- For the mission, the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) used PSLV-C40 launch vehicle, which is carrying 31 satellites, including three from India and 28 from six other countries.
- This satellite is the seventh remote sensing satellite in its series and has the mission life of five years.
- Also deployed a remote sensing Cartosat and 30 other satellites, including 28 from six nations into the earth’s orbit after a copybook launch from its spaceport which is about 80 km northeast of Chennai off the Bay of Bengal coast. The 44.4-metre tall Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV-C40) roared into a clear sky after a perfect lift-off at 9.29 a.m. following a 28-hour countdown.
Sarjubala Devi claims gold in National Women’s Boxing Championship
Former world silver medallist Sarjubala Devi representing Manipur claimed the gold in 48 kg category in the National Women’s Boxing Championships in Rohtak, Haryana. She was also given the best boxer trophy.
Eminent Hindi author Doodhnath Singh passes away
Eminent Hindi writer Doodhnath Singh, winner of the Bharat Bharti award has passed away.
Nuclear Physicist and NIAS Director Baldev Raj passes away
Baldev Raj, the director of the National Institute of Advanced Studies (NIAS), Bengaluru, and a renowned administrator of nuclear power technologies in the country has passed away.
5 Day National Youth Festival began from 12 January, 2018
Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi inaugurated the events of the National Youth Festival(NYF) on 12 January 2018 through Video conferencing. The Festival commenced on the occasion of birth anniversary of Swami Vivekananda, the youth icon of India.
- This is the 22nd National Youth Festival. The 1st National Youth Festival was held in 1995 in Bhopal.
- The Theme of the Festival is ‘Sankalp Se Siddhi’, to capitalize on the demographic dividend of young India, to capture the vibrancy and fresh perspective of youth and to pledge to accomplish the Goal of New India.