Daily Current Affairs 12 July 2017 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Cabinet approvals – 12 July 2017
Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and Bangladesh on cyber security cooperation.
Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and Palestine on cooperation in the field of information technology and electronics (IT&E).
Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and Palestine on cooperation in the field of health and medicine.
Approval for the Joint Interpretative Notes (JIN) on the agreement between India and Bangladesh for the promotion and protection of investments between the two countries.
Approval for the signing a Joint Declaration of Intent (JDI) between India and Germany on cooperation in the field of health.
Approval of widening and up gradation of a 65-km-long National Highway in Manipur to boost the state’s connectivity with south and southeast Asia via Myanmar.
Approved the International Rice Research Institute (IRRI), South Asia Regional Center (ISARC) in Varanasi, which will work to develop special rice varieties. It will be the first such international centre in eastern India and will play a major role in sustaining rice production in the region.
President Pranab Mukherjee inaugurates ‘Ashiana Annexe’ in Dehradun, Uttarakhand
President Pranab Mukherjee inaugurated the annexe of the presidential retreat Ashiana which has accommodation facilities for accompanying officers and staff of the Rashtrapati Bhavan.
India advances its target of eliminating malaria by three years to 2027
India has advanced its target of eliminating malaria by three years to 2027. Earlier the target was 2030. In its efforts to eliminate the disease, Health Ministry has launched the National Strategic Plan for Malaria Elimination in the country.
- This five year plan will focus at district level to strengthen the strategy to eliminate the disease.
MoHUA is the new name for urban development & housing ministry
The government has merged the urban development and housing and urban poverty alleviation ministries. Now this will be known as Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MoHUA). This is third time the ministries have been merged.
Union Min Dr Harsh Vardhan inaugurates IMD’s Doppler Weather Radar
Union Minister Dr Harsh Vardhan has inaugurated Doppler Weather Radar built by Indian Meteorological Department at Kochi. The facility is built as part of the modernization of observational network by replacing conventional network using indigenous technology. Fifty more such radars will be installed in the country in near future.
Railways launch RailCloud to enable faster connectivity at reduced cost
Railways has launched RailCloud, a virtual server with an inbuilt security system that will enable faster connectivity at a reduced cost.
- The technology enables maximising the usage of available server and storage resulting in accommodation of bigger data and more applications within same server space.
- Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu also launched the first application on RailCloud named ‘Nivaran’, which is a grievances redressal portal.
Govt mandates GPS installation in all phones from Jan 2018
The Telecom department has made it mandatory for all phones, including feature phones, to install Global Positioning System (GPS) from January 1, 2018. The order aims to ensure consumers’ safety as GPS can help locate them in emergency situations.
In a first, Rajasthan fixes minimum education qualification for cooperative body polls
In a move that is a first for the country, Rajasthan has fixed minimum educational qualification for candidates interested in contesting elections for elections to village cooperative societies and various other cooperative bodies. To this effect, the Rajasthan Government amended the State Cooperative State Cooperative Societies Rules, 2003.
- For contesting election as members of governing boards of dairy societies, farming societies, consumer societies, weavers’ societies, urban banks, housing construction societies, primary land development banks, credit societies and cooperative unions, the minimum educational qualifications will range from class 5 to class 8
- The primary committee members need to have passed at least class 8. For district level members the minimum qualification required is class 10, while those interested in being a member of State level committee will need to be graduate
Telangana issues ordinance to curb online rummy
The Telangana government has issued an ordinance to curb the “social evils” caused by online rummy card games. It claimed that the game has become an addiction for many people and affected their family life. Notably, online gaming is an offence as per the provisions of another ordinance issued by the state a month ago.
Retirement age of doctors in paramilitary forces enhanced to 65 years
The retirement age of medical officers working in Central Armed Police Forces and Assam Rifles has been enhanced to 65 from 60 years.
India to import crude oil from US for first time
India, the world’s third-largest oil importer, will import crude oil from the United States for the first time after Indian Oil Corp bought a cargo that will be delivered in October.
Sri Lanka bans plastic bags amid garbage crisis
Sri Lanka has banned plastic shopping bags as it is facing a dengue epidemic and garbage crisis.
- The use, production, import and sale of lunch sheets would be banned under the new regulation and burning of plastic bags in open areas would also be prohibited.
Meeting of SAARC Minister of Law & Order
8th meeting of the SAARC Ministers of Law and Order has started in Colombo. The 3 day meeting will focus on the issue of tackling terrorism apart from discussing liberalization of visa, illegal trafficking in narcotic drugs, psychotropic substances and small arms.
India to host next edition of Theatre Olympics
India will host next edition of Theatre Olympics, the biggest theatre celebration of the world. The eight edition of the greatest carnival will start from February 17-April 08, 2018.
- Established in 1993, the Theatre Olympics is the foremost international theatre festival, presenting the finest productions of well-known theatre practitioners from around the world.
Mithali Raj creates history, becomes highest scorer in women’s ODI
Indian women’s cricket team skipper Mithali Raj has surpassed former England captain Charlotte Edwards to become the highest run-scorer in the One-Day Internationals (ODI).
- The Indian skipper now has 6,028 runs in 181 ODIs at an average of 51.37.
- The 34-year-old is also the first woman cricketer to cross the milestone of 6,000 runs in the 50-over format. She has scored five centuries and 49 half-centuries — her highest score being an unbeaten 114 runs against Ireland.
Zaheer Khan named bowling coach by BCCI
Former fast bowling spearhead Zaheer Khan was appointed the bowling coach and former batting great and captain Rahul Dravid was named batting consultant for specific overseas tours.
Subhash Garg takes charge as DEA Secretary
The former Executive Director of the World Bank Subhash Chandra Garg has assumed office as the new Secretary in the Department of Economic Affairs (DEA) in the Ministry of Finance.
Patil named brand ambassador for Indian indoor cricket team
Former Indian batsman Sandeep Patil was on Wednesday named the brand ambassador of the Indian indoor cricket team.
- Patil will be the face of the team in the lead-up to the 10th edition of the World Indoor Cricket Federation (WICF) World Cup, scheduled to be held from September 16 to 23 in Dubai.
Twitter names former Goldman Sachs banker Ned Segal as CFO
Ned Segal, a longtime Goldman Sachs banker and the former Senior Vice President of Finance at Silicon Valley’s financial software company Intuit, has been appointed as the new Chief Financial Officer at Twitter.
IROAF sets gold standards by winning Golden Peacock Award for Eco Innovation for the year 2017
Indian Railways achieves a major landmark in the field of Eco friendly fuel technologies at Indian Railways Organization for Alternate Fuel (IROAF) which has been awarded the coveted National level “Golden Peacock Award for the Year 2017 for Eco-Innovation” for substitution of fossil fuels (Diesel) by environment friendly CNG in DEMU passenger train services. Use of CNG in Train Sets for passenger transportation has been done for the first time in the world.
James Bond star Joseph Robinson dead
Joseph ‘Tiger Joe Robinson, best known for his role as a doomed jewel smuggler in the James Bond film “Diamonds Are Forever”, has passed away.