Daily Current Affairs 15 July 2017 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Railways launches mobile app that does more than just booking
The Railways has launched an integrated mobile application – Rail SAARTHI to cater to various passenger requirements, including ticket booking, inquiry, on-board cleaning and ordering meal on a single platform.
- Currently there are multiple mobile app by the Railways. To use different services, users need to search and download each application separately. In order to provide better customer experience, Rail SAARTHI, a integrated application which could give a single window interface for these services has been launched
Indira Gandhi’s name dropped from Oxford centre
Former Prime Minister Indira Gandhi’s name has been removed from the Oxford India Centre for Sustainable Development which was named the Indira Gandhi Centre for Sustainable Development at its launch during the tenure of UPA government. The Centre was established by Somerville College in the University of Oxford in 2013 where Indira Gandhi studied Modern History in 1937.
U.S. House imposes tougher conditions for reimbursement of defence funding to Pakistan
The United States House of Representatives has voted for three legislative amendments to impose tougher conditions for reimbursement of defence funding to Pakistan, adding a caveat that Islamabad should make satisfactory progress in the fight against terrorism.
- The conditions are related to Pakistan’s support to terrorists and terror outfits, about which several top U.S. officials and lawmakers have repeatedly expressed concern.
FINANCE & ECONOMY
Govt asks businesses to register under GST by July 30
The government asked traders to get registered under the Goods and Services Tax (GST) regime by July 30.
- Businesses with turnover of up to Rs 20 lakh (Rs 10 lakh in special category states) are exempt from GST.
No GST on second-hand goods if sold cheaper
The government has announced that buying and selling of second-hand goods will not attract Goods and Services Tax (GST) if sold at a price cheaper than the purchase price
- This is as per rule 32(5) of the Central Goods and Services Tax (CGST) Rules, 2017.
Tamil Nadu maintains lead in solar rooftop installations
India has added 678 MW of rooftop solar capacity in 2016-17, growing at 81 per cent Y-o-Y, reaching total installed capacity of 1,396 MW as of March 2017.
- With an installed capacity of 163 MW as of March this year, Tamil Nadu topped the rooftop capacity addition table, according to a report by Bridge to India, a global renewable energy consulting firm.
Internet-based apps contributed Rs 1.4 lakh cr to GDP in 2015-16: Study
Internet-based applications have contributed Rs 1.4 lakh crore to the country’s GDP in 2015-16, a report by the think-tank organisation, ICRIER along with the Broadband India Forum
- A 17 per cent increase in India’s Internet traffic during the period 2015-16, resulted in an absolute increase of $103.9 billion (Rs 10,390 crore) in GDP during the year.
EU, India set up fund for investments
European Union (EU) and India have announced the establishment of an Investment Facilitation Mechanism (IFM) for EU investments in India.
- The mechanism will allow for a close coordination between the European Union and the Government of India with an aim to promote and facilitate EU investment in India.
Galaxy 1,000 times brighter than Milky Way discovered
Scientists have discovered a very distant galaxy, some 10 thousand million light years away, which is about 1,000 times brighter than the Milky Way. It is the brightest of the submillimetre galaxies, a class of ultraluminous infrared galaxies, according to the scientists.
Gurjar 2nd Indian to win gold at World Para Athletics C’ship
Para-athlete Sundar Singh Gurjar became only the second Indian to win a gold at the World Para Athletics Championships, winning one in javelin at the 2017 edition in London.
- Rio gold medalist Devendra Jhajharia won a gold in 2013.
Garbine Muguruza beats Venus Williams to win Wimbledon title
Garbine Muguruza of Spain beat five-time winner Venus Williams to clinch her maiden Wimbledon and second Grand Slam title.
Film Baahubali and ISRO honored at TIMES NOW ICICI Bank NRI of the Year Awards 2017
Times Now and ICICI Bank jointly hosted the fourth edition of ‘Times Now ICICI Bank NRI of the Year Awards powered by Global Indian International School’ in Mumbai. This season was organised as the NRI of the Year Awards 2017 to salute the spirit of the global Indian.
Some of the awards are
Global Indian Impact Icon — Baahubali –Tamannaah Bhatia and V Vijayendra Prasad (writer of Baahubali)
India’s Global Icon — Shri A. S. Kiran Kumar
Global Indian Awards – Sports — Pankaj Advani
Mukesh Kumar Jain appointed MD & CEO of Oriental Bank
Mukesh Kumar Jain has been appointed as the managing director and chief executive officer of Oriental Bank of Commerce.
- He is at present the executive director in Punjab and Sind Bank.
Vikram Limaye to take over as NSE CEO on 17th July
Vikram Limaye will take charge as managing director (MD) and chief executive officer (CEO) of the country’s largest bourse, the National Stock Exchange of India Ltd (NSE).
- Limaye, who was the managing director and chief executive officer of IDFC Ltd has left his position on 15th July
- He has resigned from a Supreme Court-appointed BCCI committee, clearing the way for his appointment at NSE CEO
18-year-old ragpicker to be Srinagar’s civic ambassador
An 18-year-old ragpicker Bilal Dar has been appointed as Srinagar’s civic ambassador. Dar will get a special uniform and vehicle to go and meet people and sensitise them about environmental issues, cleanliness and garbage disposal.
Lilly Singh appointed UNICEF’s Global Goodwill Ambassador
UNICEF has appointed Indian- origin Canadian YouTube star Lilly Singh as its newest Global Goodwill Ambassador.
- As the UNICEF ambassador Lilly, who has 11.9 around million subscribers on the video sharing website, will use her channel to showcase the organisation’s work and urge millions of her followers to work for children’s rights.