Daily Current Affairs 18 August 2017 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
PM addresses Young Entrepreneurs at the “Champions of Change” initiative organised by NITI Aayog
The Prime Minister interacted with Young Entrepreneurs at the “Champions of Change” initiative organised by NITI Aayog at Pravasi Bharatiya Kendra.
- Six groups of Young Entrepreneurs made presentations before the PM on certain themes. Appreciating the new ideas and innovations envisaged in the presentations made by the entrepreneurs, the Prime Minister said, that in times past, social initiatives had catered to the requirements of people at large, and these movements were spearheaded by eminent people in society.
- The Prime Minister described the “Champions of Change” initiative as one effort to bring together diverse strengths for the benefit of the nation and society.
North eastern cultural centre to be set up in Delhi: Jitendra Singh
DoNER Minister Dr Jitendra Singh announced that a North Eastern Cultural and Information Centre will be set up in Delhi soon.
- He said that this will be a new gift to the people of North East (NE) India. He said that this is in line with the priority being given to North East by the Union Government.
Navika Sagar Parikrama: Indian Navy’s all-woman team to circumnavigate globe.
A six-member all-woman team of the Indian Navy will set sail to circumnavigate the globe on the sailing vessel INSV Tarini. This is the first-ever Indian circumnavigation of the globe by an all-woman crew.
- The expedition has been aptly titled ‘Navika Sagar Parikrama’ with an aim to promote women empowerment in the country and ocean sailing by the Indian Navy.
5 Indian-origin persons in Fortune’s annual ’40 Under 40′ list
Five Indian-origin persons, including Irish Prime Minister Leo Varadkar, have featured in Fortune’s annual list of 40 young and influential people in the field of business inspiring others with their work.
- Fortune’s 2017 ’40 Under 40′ list is an annual ranking of the most influential young people who are under 40 in business, whom the magazine termed as “disruptors, innovators, rebels and artists” inspiring others.
- The list has been topped by 39-year-old French President Emmanuel Macron.
Union Bank signs insurance deals
Union Bank of India has entered into a corporate agency agreement with Bajaj Allianz General Insurance and Cholamandalam MS General Insurance for distribution of their insurance products.
Govt bans export of gold items above 22-carat purity
The government has banned exports of gold jewellery, medallions and other articles with purity above 22 carats in a bid to check round tripping of the precious metal.
- In a notification on the metal, the Directorate General of Foreign Trade (DGFT), has said that certain provisions of the foreign trade policy (2015-20) are “amended to allow export of gold jewellery (plain or studded) and articles containing gold of 8 carats and above up to a maximum limit of 22 carats only from domestic tariff area and export-oriented units, electronics hardware technology parks, software technology parks and bio technology parks”.
APPOINTMENTS & RESIGNS
Sohail Mahmood takes charge as Pakistan’s envoy to India
Sohail Mahmood has assumed his charge as the Pakistan’s High Commissioner to India, after his predecessor Abdul Basit announced retirement before his tenure was scheduled to end.
Dr. (Ms.) Mamta Suri takes charge as Executive Director, IBBI
Dr. (Ms.) Mamta Suri has been appointed as Executive Director of Insolvency and Bankruptcy Board of India (IBBI).
- Before joining IBBI, Dr. Suri was serving as Chief General Manager, Insurance Regulatory Development Authority of India.
Vishal Sikka resigns as Infosys MD and CEO
Vishal Sikka has resigned as the Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of Infosys Ltd. with immediate effect.
- B. Pravin Rao has been appointed as the interim-managing director and chief executive, whereas Sikka has now been appointed as executive vice-chairman.
AWARDS & RECOGNITIONS
Mobikwik co-founder Upasana Taku awarded best woman entrepreneur 2017
Celebrating the occasion of world Entrepreneurship Day, ASSOCHAM (Associated Chambers of Commerce and Industry of India) has bestowed Mobikwik co-founder Upasana Taku with the ‘Best Woman Entrepreneur Award 2017’.
- The award to the MobiKwik co-founder came close on the heels when it entered into a strategic partnership and funding agreement with leading NBFC (Non-Banking Financial Company) player Bajaj Finance to offer India’s first mobile credit and debit wallet.
Music icon Bappi Lahiri awarded 7th Dr. Ambedkar award
Bappi Lahiri, 1st music director who composed songs for Bharat Ratna Shri. Atal Bihari Vajpayee & Bharat Ratna Dr. Ambedkar gifted the CDs to Honorable President of India Mr. Ram Nath Kovind
- Bappi Lahiri was awarded 7th Bharat Ratna Dr. Ambedkar Award for his legendary 48 years of musical work in both Bollywood and Hollywood in Delhi.
Serena Williams named highest paid female athlete of 2017
American tennis player Serena Williams has topped the Forbes’ list of highest paid female athletes of 2017, with $27 million in earnings between June 2016 and June 2017. Her earnings, which include prize money and endorsements, is twice that of any other female athlete.
Veteran photographer S Paul passes away at 88
A doyen of photography, Paul Saheb known as S Paul has passed away.