Current Affairs 2nd May 2017
UN: India expected to achieve 7.1% growth this year
The UN Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific or ESCAP has launched its annual flagship report ‘The Economic and Social Survey of Asia and the Pacific 2017’
- According to the report, India is expected to achieve 7.1 % growth this year as re-monetisation restores consumption, and infrastructure spending increases.
ICICI to make 600 villages digitally-enabled in 2017
The ICICI Group has made 100 villages digitally-enabled in 2017 and has announced its plans to transform 500 more by the year-end.
FinMomenta launches P2P lending platform ‘Tachyloans’
Singapore based Fintech startup FinMomenta has launched ‘Tachyloans’, the first-of-its-kind integrated digital lending platform in India for individuals as well as businesses.
Government releases Rs714 Cr to K’taka govt for implementing various schemes
Union Minister of Urban Development and Housing & Urban Poverty Alleviation M Venkaiah Naidu has released 714 crore rupees to the Government of Karnataka for implementing Smart City Mission, AMRUT, Swachch Bharat Mission and Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana.
Centre sanctions Rs 588 cr as drought relief for Rajasthan
The Centre has sanctioned 588 crore rupees as drought relief for Rajasthan. The assistance was approved from the National Disaster Relief Fund.
HRD Minister launches Vidya-Veerta Abhiyan
Human Resource Development Minister Prakash Javadekar has launched a nationwide Vidya-Veerta Abhiyan to encourage Universities to display portraits of Param Veer Chakra decorated soldiers. The idea of this Abhiyan is to instill sense of patriotism and nationalism among students.
- He said: The universities and colleges across the country will build Wall of Heroes. The wall will have portraits of 21 Param Veer Chakra recipients that will inspire students and encourage patriotism.
Shri BandaruDattatreya Launches “One IP- Two Dispensaries” and “Aadhaar Based Online Claim Submission” Schemes
Minister of State (I/C) for Labour and Employment, Shri BandaruDattatreya launched two schemes “One IP- Two Dispensaries” and “Aadhaar based Online Claim Submission” on the occasion of International Labour Day today.
- Under One IP- Two Dispensaries scheme, ESIC has given an option to an Insured Person (IP) to choose two dispensaries, one for self and another for family through an employer.
- Under Aadhaar based Online Claim Submission scheme all EPF Members who have activated their UAN and seeded their KYC (Aadhaar) with EPFO will be able to apply for PF final settlement (form19), Pension withdrawal benefit (Form10-C) and PF part withdrawal (Form31) from the their UAN Interface directly.
Department of Telecom (DoT) Launches web portal Tarang Sanchar
The Minister of Communications Shri Manoj Sinha has launched Tarang Sanchar, a web portal for Information sharing on Mobile Towers and EMF Emission Compliances.
India’s 2nd tallest national flag hoisted in Kolhapur
Marking the formation day of Maharashtra, CM Devendra Fadnavis hoisted India’s second tallest national flag in Kolhapur at 303 feet.
- Notably, India’s tallest flag pole, at 360 feet, is installed at the Attari-Wagah border in Punjab.
Chhattisgarh auctions India’s most expensive limestone block
Chhattisgarh successfully auctioned its third limestone block, Kesla-II
- Kesla-II block is situated in the Tilda Tehsil of Raipur district and covers over 357 Ha in area with an average grade of 43 percent CaO.
- Chhattisgarh had also earned the distinction of conducting the first ever successful non-coal mineral auction in India in February, 2016 with the auction of Karhi Chandi limestone block.
- It is also the first and only state in India to successfully auction a Gold mine.
Madhya Pradesh switches to January-December fiscal pattern
Madhya Pradesh government has decided to part ways with the conventional April-March financial year pattern to adopt the January-December period as the new fiscal. With this it became the first state to break away from the age-old tradition.
- The change will come into effect from the next year, as the state government intends to complete all budgetary proceedings for this year by the close of 2017.
Adityanath govt decides to celebrate Jan 24 as ‘UP Diwas’
Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath has decided to celebrate January 24 as ‘UP Diwas’ (UP Day). Notably, the United Provinces unit was renamed as Uttar Pradesh on January 24, 1950.
Odisha’s Sualgiri, Swalgiri communities notified as Scheduled Castes
Odisha’s Sualgiri and Swalgiri communities have been notified as Scheduled Castes following President Pranab Mukherjee’s assent to a new law.
Chandrababu Naidu bags US-India Business Council award
Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister Chandrababu Naidu has been selected for the ‘Transformative Chief Minister Award’ in recognition for his role in advancing the US-India partnership at the state level. The award by the US-India Business Council (USIBC) would be presented to Naidu during the USIBC West Coast Summit in the Silicon Valley on May 8.
Shobana Kamineni is new Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) president
Indian Army test fires advanced BrahMos cruise missile
The Indian Army has successfully test fired the advanced version of the BrahMos land attack cruise missile in the Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
- BrahMos Block-III is a joint Russian-Indian project, which is based on Russian P-800 Oniks missile.
Soumyajit Ghosh wins singles & doubles gold at Chile Open
Ghosh became the third Indian to win a men’s singles title at an ITTF Challenge Series or ITTF World Tour tournament.
- He defeated compatriot Anthony Amalraj in the men’s singles final to clinch the title. Also he combined with Amalraj earlier to win the men’s doubles title.
Sunil Chhetri bags ‘Hero of the League’ award
Bengaluru FC captain Sunil Chhetri, who smashed seven goals in the recently-concluded edition of the I-League, has clinched the most coveted ‘Hero of the League’ award.
Dubai becomes the first city in the world to get its own Microsoft font
Dubai has become the first city in the world to get its own Microsoft font. The font, now available to more than 100 million users of Microsoft Office 365 around the world, is the first font to be created by a city and named after it.
- The font, available in three styles as ‘Dubai’, ‘Dubai Medium’ and ‘Dubai Light’, can be in italics, underlined and bold.