Daily Current Affairs 30 November 2017 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Global Entrepreneurship Summit 2017 concludes
Global Entrepreneurship Summit 2017 was held in Hyderabad between November 28 and November 30. This year’s Summit highlighted the theme ‘Women First, Prosperity for All’, and focused on supporting women entrepreneurs and fostering economic growth globally. U.S. President Donald Trump’s daughter and Presidential advisor Ivanka Trump led the U.S. delegation to the Summit.
- GES 2017 was attended by over 1600 delegates, including entrepreneurs and investors, CEOs of major knowledge-based industries, representing the full measure of entrepreneurial talent from diverse backgrounds across the world.
Centre to give Rs 275 cr for Global Centre for Security and Counter-Terrorism in Jaipur
The Centre has sanctioned Rs 275 crore for establishing a Global Centre for Security and Counter-Terrorism in Jaipur, Rajasthan. Central Government will allocate Rs. 165 crore and Rajasthan State Government will bear Rs 110 crore for setting-up this centre.
₹1 currency note completes 100 years
The ₹1 currency note has completed 100 years after the first note, which was printed in England, was issued on November 30, 1917 in India. The note was launched because the silver used for ₹1 coins was being used to make weaponry components during World War I. Notably, when the note was issued, ₹1 was equivalent to 10.7g of silver.
- Since 1917 to 2017, there have been 125 different One Rupee notes that have been issued for circulation with different serial numbers and signatures.
PM Modi inaugurated HT Leadership Summit in New Delhi
Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the two-day Hindustan Times Leadership Summit in New Delhi. Former US President Barack Obama, Afghanistan Chief Executive Abdullah Abdullah, Union Ministers Arun Jaitley, Ravi Shankar Prasad, Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath, Chattishgarh Chief Minister Dr Raman Singh will also address different sessions during the event.
USAID announces $1 mn for TB awareness in India
The US Agency for International Development (USAID) announced $1 million to create awareness about Tuberculosis (TB) to help India in its fight against the disease. The move would support Prime Minister Modi’s ultimate goal of securing a TB-free India by 2025.
- India has the world’s highest incidence of TB, with 2.8 million cases annually, and accounts for more than a quarter of the global TB burden.
BANKING & FINANCE
Bengal to get World Bank subsidy to buy 130 electric buses
The West Bengal government has negotiated with the World Bank to avail subsidy to buy 130 electric buses for plying in Kolkata, Asansol and Durgapur. The World Bank has agreed to provide a subsidy of Rs seven lakh per bus.
$500-mn ADB loan for rural roads in 5 States
Multilateral funding agency Asian Development Bank (ADB) will provide a $500 million loan to improve rural road connectivity in five states – Assam, Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Odisha and West Bengal.
- The board of directors of ADB has approved the multi- tranche financing facility (MFF) for the ‘Second Rural Connectivity Investment Programme’.
- Under this project, ADB will invest to construct and upgrade over 12,000 kilometre rural roads in these states. It will also support state governments to improve rural road maintenance and safety.
GDP growth recovers to 6.3 pct in second quarter of FY18
The data released by the Central Statistics Office (CSO), Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation estimated GDP for the second quarter (July-September) Q2 of 2017-18. According to it, India’s Gross Domestic Products (GDP) surged by 6.3 percent in the September quarter, thus indicating healing in the Indian economy from the shake off of Demonetisation and Goods and Services Tax (GST) last year.
India’s April-October fiscal deficit at 96% of full year’s target
The data furnished by the Comptroller General of Accounts (CGA) showed that India’s budgetary fiscal deficit for the first seven months of 2017-18 stood at 96.1 per cent — Rs 5.25 lakh crore — of the full year’s target of Rs 5.46 lakh crore.
Pankaj Advani secures IBSF World Snooker Championship title
Pankaj Advani continued his strong show on global stage by winning the 15-frame IBSF World Snooker Championship at the Al Arabi Sports Club in Doha. It was the Indian star’s 18th world title.
- Advani defeated Amir Sarkhosh of Iran 8-2 in the final.
Mirabai Chanu bags India’s first World Weightlifting C’ship gold in 22 years
Mirabai Chanu scripted history by becoming the first Indian woman in over two decades to clinch gold at the 2017 World Weightlifting Championship in Anaheim, USA.
- She won the Championship by creating a new world record of 194-kg – lifting 85 kg snatch and 109 kg in clean-and-jerk.
Assam girl wins ‘Best Boxer’ title in World Youth Women’s Boxing Championship
Ankushita Boro, a young girl from Assam, has done India proud after winning ‘The Best Boxer’ title in World Youth Women’s boxing Championship held in Guwahati.
Google launches Datally App for quick data usage in real time
Technology Giant Google announced the launch of Datally App that will help users understand, control and save on their mobile data.
- Globally available on the Google Play Store, Datally App will enable users to track their data usage in real time, and get personalized recommendations on saving data along with notifications of public Wi-Fi spots available nearby.
Malayalam actor and mimicry artist Abi passes away
Popular Malayalam actor and mimicry artist Abi has passed away. The actor, who is best known for films like Mazhavil Koodaram, Kireedamillatha Rajakkanmar, Mimics Action 500, Aniyathipraavu and Rasikan, etc.
Former India women’s cricketer, coach Sreerupa passes away
Former India women’s cricket team coach and batswoman Sreerupa Bose (Mukherjee) has passed away due to massive cardiac arrest. She was 66.