Daily Current Affairs 5 October 2017 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
India to assist Myanmar to train its women police officers
The Union Cabinet, gave ex-post facto approval to an MoU between India and Myanmar on upgradation of the Women’s Police Training Centre at Yamethin, Myanmar.
India, Djibouti sign agreement on bilateral consultations
India and Djibouti have signed an agreement to establish regular Foreign Office-level bilateral consultations between both countries. The agreement was signed during President Ram Nath Kovind’s first leg of his four-day visit to Djibouti and Ethiopia. President Ram Nath Kovind is first Indian leader to visit Djibouti and it was also his maiden trip abroad since taking office.
Centre launches six-year Secure Himalaya project
The Centre has launched a six-year project called SECURE Himalaya, to ensure conservation of locally and globally significant biodiversity, land and forest resources in the high Himalayan ecosystem spread over four states in India.
- SECURE, which stands for, Securing Livelihoods, Conservation, Sustainable use and Restoration of High Range Himalayan ecosystems, is meant for specific landscapes.
Paryatan Parv of M/O Tourism Inaugurated at Humayun’s Tomb
The Union Ministry of Tourism in collaboration with Other Union Ministries and State Governments has launched nationwide ‘Paryatan Parv’ to showcase cultural diversity of country and reinforce the principle of ‘Tourism for All’.
- All State governments as well as 18 central ministries would take part in the Tourism Festival to be held from the 5th to 25th October 2017 at Humayun’s Tomb, Delhi, showcasing folk and classical dance & music, handicrafts & handlooms and cuisine of the States of the country.
Venkaiah Naidu lays foundation stone for National Waterway-4 in Andhra Pradesh
Vice president Venkaiah Naidu laid the foundation stone for the first phase of the 2,890-km National Waterway-4 (NW-4) at Amravati in Andhra Pradesh.
- The first phase involves development of a water channel from Muktyala to Vijayawada on Krishna river along with four floating terminals and three fixed terminals to handle cargo operations.
UP govt launches mass marriage scheme
The Uttar Pradesh government approved the ‘Mukhyamantri Samoohik Vivaah Yojana’, a mass marriage scheme, wherein Rs 35,000 will be spent on each couple, besides gifting them mobile phones and household items.
- Under the scheme, mass marriages will be conducted by the social welfare department.
Mastercard, Andhra Govt. sign MoU to digitally transform the state
The Andhra Pradesh Government has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Mastercard to setup a centre of excellence in Visakhapatnam.
- Mastercard, an American multinational financial services corporation, have come forward to work in the areas of cyber security and financial technology in the state.
- The agreement is believed to digitally transform the technology sector in Andhra Pradesh.
Modi temple with 100-foot tall statue of PM to be built in Meerut
A grand temple worth Rs. 30 crore is going to be built in honour of Prime Minister Narendra Modi in Meerut district of Uttar Pradesh.
- The temple would be built in the Sardhana area of Meerut where a 100-foot statue of Prime Minister Modi would be installed.
- Follower and supporter of Prime Minister Narendra Modi, a retired engineer from the Uttar Pradesh Irrigation Department, J. P. Singh, announced the decision to erect Prime Minister Modi’s statue. Singh said he was inspired by the PM’s love for the country.
Bangladesh signs $ 4.5 bn loan deal with India
Bangladesh has signed a $4.5-billion loan deal with India for developing its infrastructure, health and education. Under the agreement, Bangladesh will have to purchase 65 to 75 per cent of the services, goods or works from the Indian market with the money to be provided under the new LoC.
8th SAARC speaker Parliamentarians conference begins in Sri Lanka
The eighth Conference of the Association of SAARC Speakers and Parliamentarians (ASSP) began in Colombo, Sri Lanka. The main theme of this year’s conference is ‘Association of the SAARC Speakers and Parliamentarians’.
- This conference is a platform for the parliamentarians of South Asia to work together to reach the 2030 agenda for sustainable development. The conference will be held from 4-6 October.
BANKING & FINANCE
RBI cuts SLR by 0.5 per cent; frees Rs 57K cr for lending
On 4th October, the Reserve Bank reduced the Statutory Liquidity Ratio (SLR) the portion of deposits held by banks in government securities, by 0.5 per cent to 19.5 per cent, freeing over Rs 57,000 crore to bank funds for lending. The new SLR will be effective from the fortnight commencing October 14, 2017.
HDFC Life launches service bot Neo
HDFC Life Insurance Company has launched Neo — a servicing bot for Twitter that uses artificial intelligence for customer service. The insurer hopes to deploy the bot in answering policy —related queries on social media.
- This is the second bot put in operation by HDFC Life, after the launch of SPOK, which was an email bot to answer customer queries.
- HDFC Life has launched Neo with SmartConnect Technologies.
India signs €300 million Finance Contract with European Investment Bank (EIB)
Government of India and European Investment Bank (EIB) has signed the Finance Contract for lending of € 300 million for Bangalore Metro Rail Project Phase II Line R6.
- Bangalore Metro Rail Project Phase II is to be jointly financed by the European Investment Bank (€500 million) and Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (€300 million).
India’s coffee output pegged at record 3.5 lakh tons in 2017-18
According to Coffee Board, coffee output in India, is pegged to be a record 3.50 lakh tonnes in the 2017-18 marketing year started this month on higher acreage.
Mongolian Parliament confirms new Prime Minister
The Mongolian Parliament has confirmed Ukhnaa Khurelsukh as the country’s new Prime Minister. His confirmation comes after Jargaltulga Erdenebat was voted out of office last month over allegations of corruption and incompetence.
Kazuo Ishiguro wins Nobel Prize in Literature
The Nobel Prize in Literature for 2017 is awarded to the English author Kazuo Ishiguro (Japanese-born British) “who, in novels of great emotional force, has uncovered the abyss beneath our illusory sense of connection with the world”.
- Ishiguro is one of the most celebrated contemporary fiction authors in the English-speaking world, having received four Man Booker Prize nominations, and winning the 1989 award for his novel “The Remains of the Day”.
Mukesh Ambani is India’s Wealthiest Man for the 10th straight year
According Forbes magazine’s annual ‘India Rich List 2017‘, Reliance Industries chief Mukesh Ambani emerged as India’s wealthiest for the 10th straight year as his net worth swelled to USD 38 billion (nearly Rs 2.5 lakh crore) while the wealth of 100 richest rose by 26 per cent despite economic hiccups.
- He is followed by Wipro’s Azim Premji and Sun Pharma’s Dilip Shanghvi.
- Also, Patanjali Ayurveda’s Acharya Balkrishna, a close associate of yoga guru Ramdev, has made a big jump from 45th place last year to 19th this year, with a net worth of $6.55 billion (around Rs. 43,000 crore) in the list.
Former I&B Minister Purushottam Lal passes away
Former Minister for Information and Broadcasting Purushottam Lal Kaushik has passed away. The departed leader was the Minister for Tourism and Civil Aviation in the Morarji Desai Ministry and later, the Minister for Information and Broadcasting in the Charan Singh government.
World Space Week
The World Space Week is organized across the World from 4 to 10 October. In 1999, The United Nations General Assembly declared that World Space Week will take place from 4th October to 10th October every year, in commemoration and celebration of two key dates in the advancement of space technology and exploration.
- World Space Week theme for 2017 is ‘Exploring New Worlds In Space’.
World Teachers’ Day: 5 October
World Teachers’ Day, also known as International Teachers Day, is held annually on October 5 since 1994, commemorates teacher organizations worldwide. Its aim is to mobilize support for teachers and to ensure that the needs of future generations will continue to be met by teachers.
- The World Teachers’ Day 2017 theme: “Teaching in Freedom, Empowering Teachers”