Daily Current Affairs 6 December 2017 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
International Tourism Mart 2017 begins
The 6th International Tourism Mart has begun in Guwahati, Assam. The 3 day program has been organized by Ministry of Tourism in association with all North Eastern states from 5th-7th December.
- It is being organised with an objective of highlighting the tourism potential of the region in the domestic & International markets.
India, Israel to open centre for floriculture in Tamil Nadu
India and Israel are coming together to set up a centre for excellence in floriculture at Thally in Krishnagiri district of Tamil Nadu. The centre is the first agro-technology development centre to be set up with Israel’s assistance in the state.
U.P. becomes first State to endorse Centre’s triple talaq draft bill
Uttar Pradesh has become the first State to endorse the Central government’s draft bill that makes instant triple talaq a cognisable and non-bailable offence.
- The draft law, which provides for three-year imprisonment and a fine to a man trying to divorce his wife by uttering “talaq” three times, got the State government’s approval at a Cabinet meeting.
Internet for every household in Telangana by December 2018
Telangana state government has announced that all households in the state will have broadband internet connection by December next year after which revolutionary changes are expected in the education and health sector.
Kerala raises minimum liquor drinking age to 23
The Kerala government came out with a new Ordinance raising the minimum age for liquor consumption from 21 to 23.
- The Ordinance will make suitable amendments to the state Abkari laws and has been sent to Governor P. Sathasivam for his clearance.
ISA becomes treaty-based intergovernmental organisation
With 19 countries ratifying its framework agreement, the International Solar Alliance (ISA) headquartered Gurugram became the first treaty-based international government organisation to be based in India.
- This marks the culmination of India’s efforts, which had taken a lead role in setting up the ISA—an alliance of 121 sunshine countries situated between the Tropics of Cancer and Capricorn.
Australia joins International Solar Alliance
Australia has joined the International Solar Alliance (ISA), ahead of the ISA summit to be held in India in early 2018. Now the total members of ISA is 19.
BANKING & FINANCE
RBI keeps repo rate unchanged at 6%, maintains neutral stance
The six-member Monetary Policy Committee (MPC) of the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) on 6th December kept the short-term lending rate, also known as repo rate, unchanged at 6 per cent in its fifth bi-monthly policy review of the fiscal year.
- The RBI also maintained its projection for FY18 real GVA growth at 6.7 per cent, saying the risks are evenly balanced.
- Also the RBI expects the inflation to stay in 4.3-4.7 per cent in December and March quarters.
Current Monetary Policy Rates:
- Repo Rate: Unchanged at 6%
- Revrese Repo Rate: Unchanged at 5.75%
- Marginal Standing Facility (MSF) Rate: Unchanged at 6.25%
- Bank Rate: Unchanged at 6.25%
- Cash Reserve Ratio: Unchanged at 4%
- Statutory Liquidity Ratio (SLR): Unchanged at 19.5%
Overseas bank branches can refinance ECBs
The Reserve Bank of India has announced that overseas branches and subsidiaries of Indian banks have been permitted to refinance external commercial borrowings (ECBs) of AAA rated public sector and private sector companies, potentially lowering corporate borrowing costs and expanding the overseas credit market for domestic lenders.
- Earlier ECB refinancing, was so far restricted to only foreign lenders. Indian banks were allowed to fund dollar loans but were not allowed to refinance these borrowings abroad due to perceived risks linked to ever greening of loans and excess foreign currency exposure.
After Mary Kom, Sushil Kumar resigns as National Sports Observer
A week after five-time world champion Mary Kom resigned as the National Sports Observer, Indian star wrestler and two-time Olympic medallist Sushil Kumar also stepped down from the position of wrestling.
Russia banned from 2018 Winter Olympics over state-orchestrated doping
Russia has been banned from the 2018 Winter Games by the International Olympic Committee over its state-orchestrated doping programme, but clean Russian athletes will be allowed to compete under an Olympic flag.
- 2018 Winter Games will be hosted by Pyeongchang County, South Korea.
Akshay Kumar to promote government’s flagship agri-schemes
Bollywood actor Akshay Kumar will promote the government’s flagship agriculture schemes like soil health card and crop insurance.
- The Union Agriculture Ministry has roped in the actor for television advertisements to intensify the publicity of the agri-schemes.
- Besides soil health card scheme, the actor will promote Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bhima Yojana, Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchai Yojana, Paramparagat Krishi Vikas Yojana and others.
TIME names abuse ‘silence breakers’ as Person of the Year
The “silence breakers” — the women behind this year’s #MeToo movement against sexual harassment — are named Time magazine’s 2017 “Person of the Year.” It’s the people who’ve created a movement by sharing their experiences with sexual assault and harassment.
- President Donald Trump was Time magazine’s “Person of the Year” last year and runner-up this year, while Chinese President Xi Jinping was number three on the list.
Bollywood superstar Amitabh Bachchan launches book on Indian cinema
Bollywood superstar Amitabh Bachchan launched a book based on Indian cinema in showbiz capital Mumbai. The book, titled ‘Bollywood: The Films! The Songs! The Stars!’, is a coffee table book, which provides historical insights, lesser-known facts and behind-the-scene exclusives of the most iconic movies made in the history of the Indian film industry.
- The book is co-authored by S.M.M. Ausaja, Karan Bali, Rajesh Devraj and Tanul Thakur.