Daily Current Affairs 8 February 2018 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
GST rate on admission to amusement parks and ballet etc, reduced from 28% to 18%
In its Meeting held on 18th January, 2018, the GST Council had recommended reduction of GST rate on services by way of admission to Amusement Parks including theme parks, water parks, joy rides, merry-go-rounds, go-carting and ballet from 28% to 18%. These services hitherto attracted GST @ 28%.
Rs 1,650 crore allocated for PM Modi’s research fellows scheme
The Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi approved the implementation of the ‘Prime Minister’s Research Fellows’ (PMRF) scheme with an outlay of Rs 1,650 crore for seven years beginning 2018-19.
- Under the scheme, best students who have completed or are in the final year of B. Tech or Integrated M. Tech or M. Sc. in Science and Technology streams from IISc/IITs/NITs/IISERs/IIITs will be offered direct admissions in Ph. D. programmes in the IITs/IISc.
- The scheme is aimed at tapping the national talent pool for indigenous research in cutting-edge science and technology domains.
MP govt launches app to spread awareness against pollution
The Madhya Pradesh government launched a mobile application “pollution metre” to spread awareness against pollution in the western part of the state.
- It has been developed with the help of a private firm and the Madhya Pradesh Pollution Control Board.
- With the help of the app, anybody can check the status of air, water and noise pollution in their respective areas.
International plastics exhibition inaugurated in Gujarat’s Gandhinagar
The 10th edition of an international plastics exhibition, PlastIndia, began in Gujarat capital Gandhinagar. The six-day expo-cum-conference hopes to garner a business of around Rs 5,500 crore as buyers and sellers from around 28 countries meet at the event.
Bengaluru to host 7th Annual India Golf Expo in April
The Golf Industry Association (GIA) announced that the 7th Annual India Golf Expo will be held on April 20 and 21 in Bengaluru, Karnataka.
- The two-day expo will bring together experts from different domains, drawn from across the globe to share knowledge and best practices for the development and sustenance of the sport in the country.
Bermuda becomes first country in world to repeal same-sex marriage
Bermuda has become the first country to legalise and then repeal same-sex marriage, in what critics have called an unprecedented rollback of civil rights by the British island territory.
881 km of rail network proposed to be electrified in Bengal
The Union Budget tabled by Finance Minister Arun Jaitley has allotted Rs 771.54 crore for electrification of 881 km of rail network in West Bengal.
- The electrification plans would cover all three railway zones – Eastern Railway, South Eastern Railway and North East Frontier Railway – which run through the state.
HM Rajnath Singh releass book titled “Mere Sapnon ka Bharat”
Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh released a book titled “Mere Sapnon ka Bharat”. It is a compilation of interviews of former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee by Tarun Vijay, an ex-MP, at a function in New Delhi.
- The Home Minister described Mr Vajpayee as a distinguished personality who stands alone because of his stature. He is respected by all cutting across the political parties divides.
Veteran theatre artist, director and pioneer of Children’s Theatre Sudha Karmarkar passes away
Veteran theatre artist, director, and pioneer of Children’s Theatre in Maharashtra, Sudha Karmarkar passes away. She was 83. Karmarkar founded the children’s theatre in Mumbai which is known as ‘Bal Rangbhumi- Little Theatre’ and directed various plays for children.