Daily Current Affairs 9 October 2017 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Govt raises stake in IDBI Bank to 77.79% from 73.98%
The Government of India, has increased its stake in IDBI Bank to 77.79% by acquiring 3.81 per cent shares through preferential allotment.
- The government earlier had 73.98 per cent stake in IDBI bank.
India slips to 8th among most valuable brands
India is ranked the eighth most valuable nation brand while the United States retained its top position and China took the second spot in the league of nations according to Brand Finance’s Nation Brands 2017.
- India went down one spot over the previous year, the report said, because the economy grew at its slowest pace.
No sale of firecrackers in Delhi-NCR, says Supreme Court
The Supreme Court has placed a ban on the sale of firecrackers in the Delhi-National Capital Region (NCR) during the upcoming festive season of Diwali. The ban will remain in effect till November 1.
- The court said it wanted to evaluate the difference to air quality. A bench headed by Justice AK Sikri had on October 6 reserved its order on a plea seeking restoration of the apex court’s last year order banning the sale of firecrackers in Delhi-NCR.
Andhra CM Naidu inaugurates Blockchain Business Conference
Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N. Chandrababu Naidu inaugurated a two-day International Blockchain Business Conference, which will also have sessions on Blockchain in banking, insurance and capital markets.
- Blockchain is the latest technology in the field of cyber space that is generating huge interest globally.
President Ram Nath Kovind launches Rs 100 crore clean water initiative
President Ram Nath Kovind launched Mata Amritanandamayi Math’s Rs 100 crore clean water initiative for rural India at the math headquarters in the coastal hamlet of Vallikkavu in Kerala
- He inaugurated the ‘Jivamritam’ filtration system, envisaged to provide clean drinking water to 10 million villagers across the nation. The programme was organised as part of the 64th birthday celebrations of spiritual leader Mata Amritanandamayi Devi, popularly known as ‘Amma’ among her devotees.
Group of Ministers set up to make GST composition scheme more attractive
A group of ministers or GoM has been set up under Assam finance minister Himanta Biswa Sarma to make the composition scheme more attractive and to revisit the goods and services tax rates on restaurants.
- With only 15.5 lakh of the total 98 lakh businesses registered under the GST regime opting for the composition scheme, the GST Council decided to set up the GoM to examine measures to make it more attractive.
Manipur celebrates ‘Mera Houchongba’ festival
Manipur’s traditional Mera Houchongba festival which endeavors to promote brotherhood and unity among indigenous communities, was celebrated at the Manipur Royal palace (Sana Konung) in Imphal in the presence of titular monarch Leishemba Sanajaoba recently.
- The royal palace, which usually is deserted, was filled with a riot of colours as hundreds of people, both from the hills and the valley, took part in the festivities attired in their traditional colourful dresses.
BANKING & FINANCE
AU Small Finance Bank to partner Aditya Birla Health Insurance
Au Small Finance Bank based in Jaipur, Rajasthan has entered into agreement with Aditya Birla Health Insurance Company Ltd (ABHICL) to act as a corporate agent for latter’s health insurance business.
ICICI Bank commits Ten Crore to the Indian Armed Forces
Private sector bank ICICI announced financial assistance of Rs. 10 crores to the Indian Armed Forces. The country’s largest lender, ICICI Bank will pay the assistance in two equal tranches in 2017 and 2018, which will be utilised towards welfare activities and betterment of the families of ex-servicemen who have lost their lives guarding the nation.
Caroline Garcia wins China Open final
French tennis player Caroline Garcia defeated Romanian Simona Halep at the China Open final to earn her second title within eight days.
- Garcia became the only player to ever win both the Wuhan Open and the China Open back-to-back in the same year.
PNB MetLife appoints Ashish Srivastava as MD and CEO
PNB MetLife India Insurance has a new MD and CEO in Ashish Srivastava. Prior to this elevation, Srivastava was an interim CEO at PNB MetLife.
Nobel prize in economics awarded to American Richard H. Thaler
The Nobel economics prize has been awarded to Richard H. Thaler “for his contributions to behavioural economics”.
- The 72-year-old is a professor at the University of Chicago. He co-wrote the global best-seller “Nudge”, which uses behavioural economics to tackle many of society’s major problems. It spawned “nudge theory” of how to help people make better life decisions.
Rajesh Nath gets Germany’s highest civilian honour
Rajesh Nath, Managing Director of VDMA India, has been conferred the ‘Cross of the Order of Merit’, the highest civilian honour awarded to individuals for their services to Germany.
- The award, also known as Bundesverdienstkreuz or Federal Cross of Merit was instituted in 1951 and is Germany’s only honour that is awarded to both Germans and foreigners for achievements in the economic, social, political or intellectual realms.
T D Radhakrishnan selected for Vayalar award
Noted Novelist T D Radhakrishnan’s ‘Sugandhi Enna Andal Devanayaki’ has been selected for this year’s prestigious Vayalar award.
- The award, given for the best literary work in Malayalam, was instituted in 1977 by the Vayalar Ramavarma Memorial Trust in memory of poet and lyricist Vayalar Ramavarma.
Congress leader Prabhakarpant Ojharkar passes away
Congress leader and former vice-president of Devlali Cantonment Board Prabhakarpant Ojharkar has passed away following a heart-attack.