Current Affairs March 16, 2017
Bandhan Bank ties up with Avenues India for payment solution
Private sector lender Bandhan Bank Ltd has signed an agreement with Avenues India Pvt Ltd, a payment solution provider in India, to provide the merchants with access to the point of sale (POS) and the payment gateway products.
Himachal Govt. ties with HDFC Bank to launch digital payment services in luxury buses
The Himachal Pradesh government has tied up with HDFC bank in introducing digital transaction in public transport like luxury buses and ration depots. The bank would provide swipe machines to all luxury buses.
IndusInd Bank acquires brokerage firm IL&FS Securities Services
IndusInd Bank will acquire brokerage firm IL&FS Securities Services in an all-cash deal subject to regulatory approvals
Cabinet approves 2 % additional DA for central staff
The Union Cabinet has approved a 2% hike in dearness allowance (DA) and dearness relief to 4% from January 1, 2017, benefiting 48.85 central government employees and 55.51 lakh pensioners.
- The DA/DR has been hiked by 2 per cent over the existing rate of 2 per cent of the basic pay/pension to compensate for price rise and it is in accordance with the accepted formula based on the recommendation of 7th pay commission.
MoUs signed for cooperation in Youth and Sports Matters with Indonesia and the Kyrgyz Republic
Memoranda of Understanding (MoUs) are signed between India and:
- (i) Indonesia for cooperation in youth and sports matters, and
- (ii) Kyrgyz Republic for cooperation in the field of youth development.
The MoUs envisage organizing Youth Exchange Programmes with Indonesia and Kyrgyz Republic, and cooperation in other youth and sports related matters.
Cabinet approves of MoU between India and Bangladesh on Aids to Navigation (AtoNs)
The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has approved signing of a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) on Aids to Navigation (AtoNs) between the Directorate General of Lighthouses & Lightships (DGLL), Ministry of Shipping, Government of India and the Department of Shipping, Government of Bangladesh.
Capt. Amarinder takes charge as Punjab CM
Captain Amarinder Singh has taken charge as the Punjab Chief Minister. He sworn-in as the 29th Chief Minister of Punjab.
- Singh, who led the Congress to victory in the state after a decade, was sworn-in as the chief minister for the second time.
TN makes Aadhaar, PAN, mobile number mandatory for new vehicle registration
The Tamil Nadu government has made submission of mobile number, Aadhaar and permanent account number (PAN) mandatory for new vehicle registrations.
- This was the first time a state was asking for PAN card for two-wheeler registration.
Sanjauli police post in HP becomes first in India to be linked with CCTNS
In Himachal Pradesh, Sanjauli Police Station in Shimla town has become the first police post in the country to be linked with Crime and Criminal Tracking Network & Systems (CCTNS).
- This will facilitate the people for lodging online/offline complaints, police verification of job, Tenants, Character verification and migrant labourer registration through police post.
Chennai Port Trust signs MoU with the Government of Puducherry for handling EXIM cargo
A Memorandum of Understanding has been signed between Chennai Port Trust and the Government of Puducherry in New Delhi for handling EXIM cargo originating from Puducherry Port hinterland. The MoU envisages that Chennai Port Trust will assist Puducherry Port in handling its export cargo.
Delhi’s IHC to host international film festival
The India Habitat Centre has announced the premiere edition of Habitat International Film Festival (HIFF), to begin here from March 24 with the screening of Asghar Farhadi’s Oscar winning film “The Salesman”.
- The 10-day festival, which will conclude on April 2, aims to bring together carefully hand-picked world cinema which has witnessed critical acclaim across the globe.
Snapdeal, Japan Trade Organization tie-up to bring Japanese products to India
Online marketplace Snapdeal has announced its partnership with Japan External Trade Organization (JETRO) for an exclusive partnership to showcase products from popular SME brands from Japan on Snapdeal.
- Customers can now purchase JETRO products across various categories including electronic devices, accessories, kitchenware and personal care directly from Snapdeal.
Airbus to set up India office, flight simulator at IGIA
Aerospace giant Airbus will set up its India headquarters and the country’s first full flight simulator at Delhi International Airport Ltd (DIAL) to address the growing demand of trained pilots and aircraft maintenance engineers.
- DIAL has signed a land licence agreement with Airbus for a period till March 31, 2036 for the purpose.
IBM, MIT Pune introduce Watson-powered robot ‘Chintu’
IBM in collaboration with Maharashtra Institute of Technology (MIT), Pune, introduced ‘Chintu’ — a cognitive assistant powered by IBM Watson that will assist senior citizens in conducting everyday tasks.
Asia’s best universities: IIT Bombay ranked 42nd, Bengaluru’s IISc in top 50
Times Higher Education (THE), which released its Asia University Rankings 2017, listed 33 Indian universities in the top 300.
- Bengaluru’s Indian Institute of Science (IISc) is ranked at 27. Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Bombay was ranked 42 and Chennai-based private institute Veltech University was a joint 43 in the top 50.
- In the rankings topped by Singapore’s National University, followed by China’s Peking University, IISc stayed put at position 27 for the second year in a row.
SpaceX launches EchoStar communication satellite
SpaceX has launched the EchoStar 23 communications satellite after high winds delayed a previous attempt.
- The launch took place at the historic Launch Complex 39A (LC-39A) at NASA’s Kennedy Space Center in Florida.
India joins WHO call to end TB by 2030 in South East Asian region
India among other countries in the South East Asian Region, which bear half of the global tuberculosis burden, has signed a ‘call for action’ and pledged to scale up measures to end the disease by 2030. India reports 2.8 million new TB cases annually and nearly half a million deaths due to the disease.
Shruti Shibulal named young global leader 2017 of World Economic Forum
Shruti Shibulal, Promoter and Director – Strategy and Development, The Tamara has been named as Young Global Leader 2017 by World Economic Forum. The Forum of Young Global Leaders is a community of over 800 enterprising, socially-minded men and women selected under the age of 40 from across the world.
Jwala Gutta appointed SAI governing body member
India’s most successful Badminton Doubles specialist Jwala Gutta has been appointed a member of the governing body of Sports Authority of India (SAI).
- Two-time Olympian Jwala won the bronze medal at the 2011 World Championships. She is also a 2010 Delhi Commonwealth Games champion and a silver medallist at the 2014 Glasgow Games in women’s doubles.
Babul Supriyo named vice-president of FIFA U-17 World Cup LOC
Union Minister Babul Supriyo has been appointed vice-president of the FIFA U-17 World Cup organizing committee.
Hero MotoCorp signs up as national supporter of U-17 World Cup
Two-wheeler giant Hero MotoCorp has signed up as national supporter for the Under-17 football World Cup which will be held across six cities from October 6 to 28.
- With the signing of the agreement, Hero filled the second of six national supporter slots for the youth showpiece.
- Bank of Baroda became the first National Supporter for the FIFA U-17 World Cup.